Monday, November 10, 2014

How to be interesting


Jessica Hagy's book 'How to be Interesting (In 10 Simple Steps) came out of an article she wrote for Forbes. In the book she gives a wide range of ways to step outside of your comfort zone, question yourself and all around make you a more interesting human being.

I love the format of the book because the hand drawn graphics help you focus on what is being said. I think if it would have been just a list of things it would quickly become overwhelming.

Just to give you an idea of the treat you are in for here are some examples from the Forbes article...

Share what you discover-

Do something. Anything-

Minimize the swagger-

I agree that ego can be gross, wrong and boring, but sometimes I think ladies could use a little bit more swagger. I love the collaborative culture I have found here with the crafty and entrepreneurial ladies in Chicago, but sometimes I think that I do need to be more assertive and authoritative. 

This isn't a book you can digest in one sitting. I tried to sit down and read it and found myself frustrated because I was sitting reading and not doing all the things recommended in the book. I came back to it the next day and just read a couple of pages and found myself contemplating those pages and how I could "Go Outside", "Earnestly Enjoy Myself" and "Give Myself Some Credit". 

I'm heading outside right now. 

KMC 



Originally published 9/25/13

No comments:

Post a Comment