Monday, November 10, 2014

Why I Dabble

My house

Why I Dabble


Currently the founders of Dabble are being open and honest about their challenges keeping Dabble going. They are calling it Thirty Days of Honesty. I do not think any of us who take Dabble classes or teach knew the difficulties that they were facing. I want them to succeed because Dabble is an amazing community.

I have met some of the most amazing people through Dabble classes. People who take Dabble classes are intelligent, engaging, open minded and they view the world with wonder. They are the type of people who are interested in continually learning something new and they have a zest for life.

I have taken Dabble classes taught by people who are experts in their field and they have a passion for the work that they do. A lot of the Dabble teachers have a full time job and they spend their evenings teaching. I have learned how to market my Etsy shop, do content marketing, how to make a fused glass sushi plate, and how to print fabric.

What I love about Dabble is that it gives you the opportunity to explore. I am sure I will take another class at the Chicago Glass Collective because playing with glass was similar to playing with textiles but it made me see colors in a different light. Learning how to do fabric printing added another element of design to my business. Taking the Etsy class from Rebecca of Purple and Lime got my shop up and running and Rebecca taught me how to use Twitter (I am now addicted). If you ever see a class taught by Keith Ecker take it! My Dabble class with him lead me to taking a class with him again at Story Studio and helped me learn about writing, blogging and SEO.

So, why do I teach Dabble classes. Quite honestly I love to teach. I would adore if teaching design were to become a full time gig. I will admit I am a bit of a geek when it comes to design, especially interior design and fashion. I like to spark that passion in other people and inspire them to play with design.

Another reason I teach Dabble is because when I wake up in the morning to an email from a student that says, "You have within you the power to change the world. So thank you for sharing your interior design passion and giving other lots of great ideas for my home," it makes me ridiculously happy.

Dabble is an amazing community of teachers and students and one I am honored to be a part of. Keep that community going and take a class. If you are interested in interior design then come dabble with me on October 24th at Meandering Design. You can sign up right here.

KMC

Originally published 9/17/13 

No comments:

Post a Comment