Monday, November 10, 2014

Natural beauty


I have to admit that I am blessed with slightly oily skin. This was a curse in my youth, but as I grow older I am grateful for my good genes. Most people do not guess that I am thirty-nine years old because I don't have many wrinkles and I'm totally hip (not really, but I like to think so!). I am not a skin care expert, but I am going to share with you what I have learned over the years.

  • Lesson One-Treat like with like. So, this one was hard for me to accept at first, but the reality is that instead of trying to combat the oil, embrace it. The more you try to strip your body of oils the more it produces.
  • Lesson Two- Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize.
  • Lesson Three- You absorb whatever is put on your skin, so make sure it isn't chock full of chemicals. 




The picture above reflects my morning routine. First I wash my face with Dr. Hauschka Cleansing Milk.  I have also used Korres cleansing milk in the past, which is a little easier to find and it works just as well. In the summer when I don't need something as heavy I use Skin and Bones, which is delicious smelling.

I have rosacea, which basically means I look like I've been drinking too much. In order to help tame my rosacea and protect my skin against the elements, which in Chicago can be brutal, I start by putting Rosehip Treatment Facial Serum on my cheeks. The rosehip oil has been used for centuries to treat skin and helps soothe my angry skin.

Next I put eye cream on. Currently I am using something that is no longer available and so I am going to have to search for an eye cream soon. Finally, over everything, I use a Daily Facial Moisturizer from The Naked Bee. I like this one because it has a high SPF and it gives a lot of moisture without being too oily.

I'll admit that I am slowly transitioning to more natural makeup products. I did recently buy Pacifica eye lining gel and it works really well and I like the color.



During the winter I hate washing my face at night. It's just too cold. I use Burt's Bees sensitive facial cleansing towelettes. Only after I debated the merits of using too much water vs. adding to the landfill and then drove myself crazy did I succumb to the towelettes.

I have a mixture of almond oil, lavender oil and rosehip oil that I put on my face each night. All of the ingredients can be found at a natural food store, or Whole Foods. I fill my little blue glass bottle up 3/4 of the way and then add about 5 drops of lavender oil, for its nerve calming properties, and 5 drops of rosehip oil, for its face calming properties. Shake it up gently and then smooth generously over face and neck.

I highly recommend Merz Apothecary for all of your skin care needs. Plus their sales people are very knowledgeable and can match up your needs with products. If you are not in Chicago they do have an online store. Also, check out Astrida Naturals because they have a great all natural skin care line. I've been using their shea body butter and I love it.


Originally published 4/2/14 

No comments:

Post a Comment