Monday, November 10, 2014

Misfit

Eric Proulz (seriously- go check out his movies) said "It's fucking hard to be a misfit" and that right there has been ringing in my ears for a couple of months now. 

There is no way to give a recap of a conference that was so much more than a conference and instead is a life inspiring, light an inferno under your arse, epic experience. All I can say is MisfitCon is amazing and I am so grateful to the people who put it on, the people who attended and the incredible town of Fargo for opening up their arms and making a group of misfits feel welcome. 

I was about to say that it's not easy to follow your passion, but that's not it. It's not easy to pursue your life's mission. Your life's mission is made up of so much more then what you are passionate about, it's about giving back, replenishing your well and embracing life. And yup, it's fucking hard. 

Yet, it is so worthwhile. I've been struggling lately and feeling like what I am doing isn't enough to change the world, especially since right now the world is one giant mess. Except, that I have to recognize that I am trying to make change on a small scale. For today, that needs to be enough. 

When I face my own doubts and insecurities about my business I return to my mission (which is wrapped up in Meandering Design's) and my community and I find the drive to keep going.
While being a misfit is hard, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I'm going to leave you with the meditation (which totally made me cry because it brought up so many feelings) that Jonathan Fields guided us through on the first day of Misfitcon. 
May you be free. 
May you be happy.
May you be healthy.
May you be loved.
May you live with ease.


Photo credit Kandy M. Christensen

Originally published 7/28/14

No comments:

Post a Comment