Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Living room reveal


It took me much longer then I thought it would but my living room revamp is done! I did not make any grand sweeping changes, but I do feel like the small changes I made had a large impact. 
In case you don't remember, here is my initial plan. I did not end up getting the round pillow, but I have a feeling it may find it's way here in the future. 
The very first thing I did was get a plant. The corner by the secretary desk was very blah plus this room was crying out for some greenery. I went to Gethsemane Garden Center in Andersonville and I was like goldilocks searching for the right bed. I needed a plant not too short or not too tall, one that didn't need too much light or too little light and it had to be pretty (which I realize is completely subjective). With my ridiculous list in hand the guy helping me at Gethsemane directed me to the Zamioculcas or ZZ plant. It's so easy to take care of and it's been growing like crazy in its little corner.  

Next I 'styled' the coffee table. Before there was nothing on it. I'll have a separate post shortly on how to style a coffee table, because it did take me a couple of trys to get it how I wanted. 


Here is the after. I only purchased a couple of things. The books and all of the items on the round tray were all things I had laying around the house.  


I did splurge on a couple of items such as the glass dome from Jayson home and a couple of candle holders. Inside the dome is a French ribbon spool that I couldn't bear to get rid of, a rock with the word dream on it from a friend and a beautiful pin I bought in Istanbul. 


Before-Another item on the to do list was to clean up my electronics.


And after the wires are a lot less messy and I got rid of one component.

-

Gallery wall before-


After-I had a You Are Beautiful postcard framed at Blackbird Gallery and Framing and I wanted it displayed prominently so it went up on the wall in place of the vintage light. 


Before-This piece of art just wasn't working in this room because the colors were wrong. 


After-In it's place I put a star chart with the star that I received for my birthday when I was a kid. 


I also changed up the pillows. The green and yellow pillow I made reusing the back of the existing pillow and adding some Marimekko fabric. The other I reused the back and made a pillow front with some scraps of wool and leather I had on hand. 


Before-I desperately needed to repaint my old sewing machine cabinet because the grey was too blue and too dark. 


The after (even though it took me six months to finish) looks so much better. A tray from West Elm holds a couple of vintage cocktail shakers and a candle holder I got in Istanbul. The tray also brings in the bit of turquoise/green from the chair around the corner in the dining room. 


Before-This shelf was made out of an upcycled sewing machine case and some handmade brackets I found on Etsy. Unfortunately I managed to kill the  airplant (I don't know how!).



Afterwards I restyled it and and when I stumbled acrosss a piece of art at the Open Studio at the Cornelia Arts Building that I just had to have I hung it here. I also lined the back of the shelf with some paper I found at the paper source. It has the green from the carpet and the green from the tray mixed together.    


Cost Breakdown:
Budget $300
Plant
75
Pot
30
Paint and Supplies25
Coffee Table76
Paper
12
Brass Pulls
25

     Total:$243

There were a few things that I had on hand, like fabric and I reused the existing pillows. I also had to buy new brass pulls for my french secretary desk because I was missing one. 

I almost stayed in budget, but then, I found a painting and fell in love with it. That put me over and my final tally is $343. 

Originally published 10/28/14

No comments:

Post a Comment