Monday, November 10, 2014

Brass

How to add a bit of brass to your home from Meandering Design.


I'll admit that I'm not one to follow trends, but I have been warming up to all of the brass and gold home accents that I've been seeing. I recently added some brass and gold tones to my living room and it does give the room a cozy feel. 

I wanted to showcase some of the amazing stores here in Chicago. So, Chicagoland if you were looking for brassy accents, here's where to find them. If you are not in Chicago, no worries, the goods are available online as well. 

While this room was inspired by brass I wanted to give you an idea of what a whole room could look like with some brass accents and so I pulled this space together. I also managed to sneak in some pastels which are also hot and trendy right now. I am not a pastel girl, but seeing that hint of pink and mint (picked out from the rug) against the dark blue sofa and brass, I may be a convert. 

From the top-

  • It can be really challenging to find table lamps that are unique and have a modern feel. These mini brass lamps are a great shape and size. They can be found at Neighborly which has an insane amount of wonderful art, home accessories, and gifts just waiting to be given. 
  • To the right of the lamps is a great looking credenza that I found on Etsy. Credenzas easily can be substituted for a generic media center. When I was looking for items on Etsy I searched locally. Many vendors will be happy to have you come pick up your furniture instead of having to ship it. 
  • In the next row are these gorgeous bronze mercury glass candle holders. I have a few of these on my coffee table and they have such a lovely glow. I found these at Jayson Home, which has so many unique goods for the home. I love walking through the store and finding treasures. 
  • This Turkish wool rug is a beaut. I like the gold tones in it that pair well with the bronze accents and the dark navy keeps it from being to light. What surprised me was how much I liked the pale pink and hints of pastel as well. Get thee to Yoruk Rug Gallery. Yoruk has some amazing rugs and his prices are incredible. Plus they offer free shipping within the US and Canada.  
  • The art to the right of the rug is by Sonnenzimmer, a local Chicago artist. It is another piece that I found at Neighborly.
  • In the next row is a vintage leather tooled ottoman that I found on Etsy. Again, I searched locally. I like this piece because it adds a different texture to the room and can do double duty as additional seating or as a coffee table. 
  • Tucked away next to the rug is a terrarium from Alapash Home & Terrarium. Adding a plant to a room instantly makes it feel good. The terrarium's at Alapash are unique and awesome. Plus they have some fabulous home goods. This terrarium is a kit so you can organize your plants to your heart's delight. 
  • In the final row is a stunning navy sofa with brass accents. Look at those feet! It's so plush and comfortable looking and the detailing on it is perfect. Another find from Jayson home. 
  • The mint pillow with gold studs is from White Nest. I saw her work at a handmade market in the city and her pillows are impeccably well made. I'll admit I kind of surprised myself with how well that mint goes with the navy and brass. You just never know. 
  • Finally a little brass tray, also found on Etsy, for corralling all the miscellanei of life. 
This is by no means an exhaustive list of my favorite Chicago shops, but it does give you a good sampling. It also shows how you can mix in vintage finds with local goods. 

It was really hard to resist, but I didn't add a brass monkey to the room. Now I can't get that song out of my head!

Originally published 8/20/14

No comments:

Post a Comment