Monday, November 10, 2014

Why I do that thing I do


Lovely typeset from Letterpress by Lydia. Photo by Kandy M. Christensen

Today was supposed to be an interview with yours truly, but due to technical difficulties, that will have to happen another time. I will admit that finding out a days worth of work was useless made me kind of want to crawl back into bed and give up (seriously it has to stop snowing in Chicago), but then I came up with plan b. Always have plan b, and c and d*. So, today instead I hope you will enjoy a presentation that I gave last month at Potluck about the importance of design.** 

In my talk I mention that there are ways that we can all make a difference and help out the environment and combat human rights abuses. Some of them are small changes like shopping locally. When you shop locally more of the money you spend supports your community. 

Source: Civic Economics- "Local Works!" Study, 2008. Commissioned by Local First
Instead of throwing something away decide first if it can be mended or repaired. There will be some upcoming posts about how I reused some items and gave them new life. I do this a lot in my home and if you are interested in learning how to do it yourself then come to Interior Design 101. Along with learning how to find and implement your style I have compiled a list of fabulous local houseware stores and some of my favorite vintage shops in Chicago. 

Stay tuned for upcoming DIYs, interviews with makers, book reviews, movie reviews, how to's and whatever strikes my fancy. If there is anything you interested in learning how to do let me know. 

*In a former life I was doing human rights work in Iraq and we were running a conference. Let's just say that everything that could go wrong went wrong and I was rewriting the agenda on the road from Sulaimaniya to Erbil. One of my staff said he expected to see me perched on the side of the road with a laptop. That experience taught me that absolutely anything is possible and always-always have plan b and c. I think for that conference I was on plan g.




**For those of you on a mobile device it looks like the prezi app does not allow for sound. My apologies. 

Originally published 3/2/14

No comments:

Post a Comment