Monday, November 10, 2014

A new year and new adventures


I gave up on New Year's resolutions years ago. Instead I followed the lead of Maggie over at Mighty Girl and I made a Mighty Life List. What makes this year's review of the Mighty Life List even more amazing is that I had the opportunity to go to Camp Mighty in October and it refreshed, renewed and inspired me. So, bring on the list.  

While some people may think this list is daunting or overwhelming, or even limiting, I find that it gets me thinking of ways to step outside my comfort zone, helps me be mindful of the things that are important to me and makes me think bigger then I normally would. 

This year I managed to cross off quite a few things on my list: 

  • Speak in public about something I love- I spoke at Ignite Chicago about My Love for a Chair. I probably would not have pushed myself to do it, but since I added it to the list I had that added impetuous to make it happen.



  • Be a guest contributor on a blog- I was a guest contributor on So Worth Loving. I also made some connections at Camp Mighty to help me be a contributor on a craft blog. 
  • Get a proper mint tea set- my friend Kris went to Morocco and was kind enough to bring me back a tea set. 
  • Only say yes to something if the response is Hell Yes- I have been pretty good at implementing this one. The couple of times I didn't I could feel immediately how it affected my energy and so I recommit to saying only 'Hell Yes'. 
  • Clear out my closet and replace it with things I love- I am half way there. I cleaned out my closet recently and I am working on making things that reflect my person style.
  • Learn how to use Twitter- I would say I have gotten a pretty good hang of Twitter. I went from being annoyed at it to wholeheartedly embracing Twitter. 
  • Reupholster my favorite chair in vintage grey tweed (I ended up going for a peacock green velvet)
  • Organize my fabric and sewing notions- this was epic!
  • Finish the prezi presentation I started, which I use all the time now for my Interior Design 101 Dabble class. 
  • As much as possible, buy handmade. I bought handmade for myself and for gifts for the holidays. 
  • Always have something on hand for visitors. I did a lot of entertaining this year, but my favorite was the dinner party we threw when Sheska was in town.



I am looking forward to what the new year brings because last year held so much amazement and joy. Plus I know that gradually, wahida wahida, I'll tackle the items on this awesome list.



What are you going to do next year?



  1. Find a vintage building and restore it.
  2. Open a Craft Coworking space in Chicago to teach classes, host events and have studio space.
  3. Design the quiet zone in the craft coworking space. 
  4. Spend a month traveling throughout France collecting textiles, craft knowledge and speaking French.
  5. Visit Finland so I can visit Marimekko and some of the other fabulous places with textile.
  6. Speak in public about something I love.
  7. Teach a craft class in the UK.
  8. Draft a line of my own patterns.
  9. Write a book.
  10. Be a guest contributor on a blog.
  11. Finish a quilt.
  12. Take a vacation to a place where I can incorporate bike riding.
  13. Be a guest lecturer at a university.
  14. Finally get my tattoo.
  15. Release a seasonal clothing line.
  16. Create a line of home accessories. 
  17. Create a fabric line. 
  18. Sing at the Park West.
  19. Take a horseback ride in Hyde Park. 
  20. Have a booth at Renegade. 
  21. Finish reading Moby Dick. 
  22. Go to Angola and Morrocco to learn new craft techniques. 
  23. Get a proper mint tea tea set.
  24. Return to Iraq to visit friends. 
  25. Only say yes to something if the response is Hell Yes.
  26. Create space to do the things on my life list.
  27. Clear out my closet and replace it with things I love
  28. Buy only what I love and what will last.
  29. For every thing that comes into my space, something must go.
  30. Take a cooking class.
  31. Cook once a week. Just cook something.
  32. Go for a motorcycle ride. 
  33. Write a poem
  34. Send someone a letter
  35.  Make a little something and give it away
  36. Leave an ATM (Always Trust magic)note
  37. Fly a kite
  38. Do yoga (this is another just do it!)
  39. Make it to the Etsy front page. 
  40. Write a business plan.
  41. Help others with their life lists or connect them to someone who can help.
  42. Be featured on a design blog- any of the one's on Mighty Girl's list will do!
  43. Be more patient/kind
  44. Swim in as many seas as possible
  45. Find out where my family was from in Poland and visit their town.
  46. Bake Macarons
  47. Buy myself a kitchen aid mixer
  48. Learn how to use Twitter (edited to add-I am getting better at it...)
  49. Take a ballet class
  50. Give back through Meandering Design
  51. Ride a scooter in Italy.
  52. Be a guest on Ted
  53. Scan and organize the family photos
  54. Carry my camera more
  55. Be an active feminist.
  56. Play soccer
  57. Get a 1950 Ford F-1 Pickup truck and paint it turquoise.
  58. Have a dinner party and serve Iraqi dolma (with the caramelized onions on the bottom-mmmm)
  59. Spend a week doing absolutely nothing at Canary Island.
  60. Take a train ride through the slavic countries.
  61. Reupholster my  favorite chair in vintage grey tweed.
  62. Have another girls weekend
  63. Drink more champagne
  64. Visit my nieces and nephews
  65. Find art for over the fireplace
  66. Crochet more in public
  67. Feel less self-conscious 
  68. Have a rainy day fund
  69. Learn how to develop film
  70. Go on a creative retreat
  71. Have people over more often
  72. Live a life that allows for constant travel
  73. Go to Scotland
  74. Fall in love again
  75. Get all of my sewing machines working
  76. Have a sewing class for men
  77. Get the contact information for at least one person for each event I attend
  78. Reach out to people that I admire
  79. Use my Liberty of London fabric.
  80. Organize my fabric and sewing notions
  81. Go to New Orleans
  82. Make ice cream again
  83. Try to eat seasonally
  84. Finish the Prezi presentation I started
  85. Make all the electronics in my house work properly
  86. Create printed materials for Meandering Design
  87. Get a loom
  88. Make a rug
  89. Dye my own wool/fabric
  90. Take a sewing class
  91. Take a drawing class 
  92. Refinish Poppies workbench
  93. Give away the crafty things I will not use to someone who can use them
  94. As much as possible, buy handmade
  95. Rewatch Amelie
  96. Make a hat
  97. Sew curtains for the kitchen
  98. Always have something on hand for visitors (snack and drink)
  99. Slow down and enjoy my food
  100. Leave town at least every 3 months
Originally Published 12/29/13

No comments:

Post a Comment