Monday, November 10, 2014

Lincoln Square

I almost didn't hit publish on this post because I kind of don't want to share the awesomeness that is the neighborhood Lincoln Square here in Chicago. Lincoln Square has some fabulous restaurants, shops and is very walkable and child friendly (in case that matters to you). 

Here is just a taste of what a wander through the square is like. 


First up is Merz Apothecary. Merz is one of my favorite places in the whole city. While they have oodles of lovely smelling things, they also have homeopathic medicines. I get this crazy cool all natural toothpaste from there along with my face soap, lotions, and some homeopathic sleeping pills. The sales staff are super knowledgeable and helpful. 


Enjoy has a slew of fabulous gifts. Quirky, meaningful and everything in between for adults and children. I got a fabulous book for my nephew's birthday. I'm not sure how I managed to walk out the door without buying myself a gift. 


Oh how I adore you Gene's Sausage Shop. They have all of the delightful treats that I have found on my travels abroad. They also have a great selection of alcohol and beer from around the world. I didn't have a chance to try their delicatessin (that whole vegetarian thing), but I have heard that it is really good. 
After popping in the shops it's time to grab a beer and some German delicasies. The Chicago Brauhaus is a Lincoln Square institution. 


It is very very German food and, while quite tasty, there aren't many vegetarian options. I tend to get potato pancakes and creamed spinach, but it doesn't matter because the beer and the atmosphere are so worth it. There is polka music and people dancing and a whole lot of happiness. I may have had a really big beer. 


Then stop by Half Acre Beer Company on your way home to pick up a growler, or a wee growler called a howler, to bring home with you and sit on your porch and sip. 

This is just a taste of all that Lincoln Square has to offer. There are so many more restaurants that reflect the culture in the area. Plus I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Old Town School of Folk Music where you can take lessons and go to some great concerts.  So, if you are in the neighborhood let me know and I'll join you. I dance a mean polka! 
Photo Credit Kandy M. Christensen

Originally published 6/25/14

No comments:

Post a Comment