Saturday, May 26, 2012

The Truth is Messy

I am sharing this post because often I see blogs written by creative and crafty people and their space is so beautiful, and there are unicorns prancing about, and I think to myself I must be doing something wrong. Except, that is not true because life is messy. Creating is messy and when I am in the midst of sewing the house is a....well, there is no other way to put it--mess. Sewing is not what takes the most time and creates the most mess. No, what takes time is doing the laundry, ironing, and cutting fabric. Some times too it takes time to decide how I am going to put things together and what it should look like. I'll lay something out and leave it to sit overnight and decide in the morning if it works. For example, I am trying to lay out this quilt, but there are a couple of things I am not sure about. In the meantime it sits on the kitchen table. Oh, and on the floor are scraps from the sheets I just cut to make picnic blankets out of that I was in the process of ironing, until I started taking pictures (oh shiny...).



I would like to point out that there is no dirt on my floor, but there is thread and bits of fabric. My whole house has thread strewn from one end to the other. I wake up in the morning and there is thread in my bed. I get dressed and leave the house and find myself absent-mindedly picking thread off of my clothes. I do vacuum but it doesn't matter if  I do because moments later I am cutting fabric and sewing and there is thread everywhere again. 

Here is a glimpse of the living room with the half-started picnic blankets, a finished picnic blanket and bits of fabric that may or may not find its way into the quilt I am making. Yes, that is a glass of wine because I was cutting fabric and ironing at nine o'clock on a Friday night.


Here are the piles in the sewing room. While I do have adequate storage space for materials I leave out things to do and things that are done and need pictures. Draped over the chair are things that need their pictures taken.



A friend the other day mentioned how lucky I was to have a separate sewing room and she is right, except all I can do in the sewing room is sew and store fabric. What is missing is the space to iron fabric, to lay out fabric and cut it and a place to properly photograph things. For today I iron in my living room, cut fabric on the kitchen table and sew in the sewing room and it works. I will admit that I am day dreaming about a loft that is a cooperative with other crafty like-minded people and space to spread out and do everything. A girl has to have dreams! Of course in my dreams the space looks a bit like Neal Caffrey's dining room from the television show White Collar. Oh, and if Neal Caffrey were to show up and want to take me out to dinner I couldn't possibly say no. Those windows and that balcony are swoon worthy.


Here is another great shot of the...um, windows.


No comments:

Post a Comment