Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Holy excitement batman

I am still working on getting business cards, after a small fiasco with a printer, but I did get my clothing labels and they are fabulous. Today for the first time I used them and here is the result. This is a skirt that is going to be listed when the store opens June 1st.



Did I mention that I am opening the shop on June 1st. Talking to my mom today I mentioned I could not come out for Memorial Day weekend because I need to open the shop on June 1st. Come to find out that my mother thought I was opening a brick and mortar store. That would be nice, but for now Meandering Design will only be available online.

I always forget to take pictures of things before I chop them up and remake them, but today I remembered. This is a 1970's dress that I found at the thrift store. It looks kind of like something Mrs. Roper would wear on Three's Company. Please excuse Mrs. Palmer, her 1880's hips do not quite suit the 1970's look.




It's label says "by At Home Wear for VanRaalte". I did some digging and found out that the line was designed by Spanish designer Fernando Sanchez who, according to a New York Times article, "introduced dressmaker techniques [with the collection he started in the early 70's] to slips and caftans so that they transcended their functional boundaries. Things like finished seams and linings made innerwear acceptable as outerwear and foreshadowed the mainstream acceptance, two decades later, of women wearing lingerielike garments in their daily wardrobe".

I have a feeling it is going to end up as a tunic shirt and a much shorter skirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment