Friday, February 8, 2013

Inspiration Friday

Mary L. Bennett (b. 1942). "Housetop" variation. c. 1965. Cotton and cotton/polyester blend. 77 X 82 in. via  tinwoodmedia.com
I have been in love with Gee's Bend quilts for years. I cannot remember when I first saw a picture of one, but it was love at first sight. This article in the Smithsonian gives a great overview of the history and tradition behind these quilts, but also their future. I highly recommend you read it. My hope is that I can head down to Alabama with a bag of scraps and turn them into a gorgeous piece of art. There is a reason why these quilts have been showcased in museums, because each is a work of art.
Lucy Mingo (b. 1931). Blocks and strips work-clothes quilt. 1959. Cotton and denim. 79 X 69 in. via tinwoodmedia.com

Flora Moore (b. 1951). Medallion. 1970s. Corduroy. 80 X 82 in. via tinwoodmedia.com

Image via Smithsonian
Image via Internationalfolkart.org

KMC

No comments:

Post a Comment