Monday, July 16, 2012

The thrill of the hunt

I went up to Wisconsin to visit a friend and also to do a little treasure hunting. For years my family has been going to the Columbus Antique Mall in Columbus, WI. In fact I think my mother was a bit disappointed that I went without her.  I bought my first vintage camera there and it took me about 5 years before I bought film for it and used it. Now I have a thing for vintage cameras.

The antique mall is completely overwhelming with three warehouse sized floors of antiques and even a museum about Christopher Columbus. I tend to skip that part! It ihelps narrow the search f you know what you are looking for.

While I already shared the fabulous buttons I found, I also found some rick-rack, fabric, lace, trim and my new favorite needle threader.

I dug through a pile of dusty textiles and discovered this beautiful crepe de chien which I believe is from the 1950's. The colors are amazing, especially the mustardy green. I cannot wait to make it into a dress.


I found this cool feedsack fabric. In fact, I also saw an original feedsack at the antique mall for the first time. As a marketing ploy grain used to be sold in cotton sacks that could be reused as fabric. It was easy to peel off the label and be left with the beautiful fabric. It was especially popular in the 1930's when women could not afford fabric for new clothes. There are also quilts made up of feedsack fabric. They are quite beautiful.


I found this sweet bit of bright cotton fabric, that I think is from the 1960's or 70's. I think it is going to be turned into a picnic blanket and lined with a sheet my friend gave me (I was lucky to inherit a ton of her fabric when she cleaned out her sewing room).


Finally I found some crochet trim. Looking at it I realized that I could probably figure out how to make it, but then I realized that may mean I am going a bit overboard. I once told a friend that if I buy a melon baller, then it is time to commit me. This was said after watching a few too many episodes of the Martha Stewart Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment